Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"Katrina's Secrets" and Katrina's Book

On last night's episode of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, former New Orleans mayor C. Ray Nagin was on promoting his self-published novel, "Katrina's Secrets: Storms After The Storm." I found this interview interesting for several reasons. For one, as an Atmospheric Sciences major, I find hurricanes and their aftermaths to be interesting, also having done a presentation on Hurricane Katrina for one of my classes. Two, CreateSpace was mentioned, which is the Print-On-Demand service I use for my novel. Third, and most importantly, it highlighted the issues involved with using a major publisher.

During the submission process, whether or not your book makes it to print is decided by the publishing company executive. They can decide if your words are too strong or too harsh for the public. Nagin himself said agents didn't "get comfortable with [his] voice coming through" about certain politicians during the days of Katrina. Ultimately, publishing comes down to accountability. Though self-publishing gives you complete control over a piece, you are responsible for the words in the book.

Speaking of Katrina and books, my sister, Katrina Johnson, has a self-published horror novel out called "The Deadly Game: Electronic Massacre" available through CreateSpace. I am in the process of reading the book now and I should have a review of it coming out soon. As always, my novel is available on CreateSpace through the link under the "Books" tab.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment