Friday, July 29, 2011

The Push Continues

It's time for an update! I've been busy with my internship lately, so I haven't been able to update the blog as frequently as I'd like. However, I did seem to come across a new way to market my book.

At my internship, I have been leaving the proof copy of The Book of Fire on my desk, in hopes that one of the people there (i.e. news reporters, producers) would pick it up. And it happened yesterday! The proof copy made it to several people's hands and it seemed to generate some interest. The producer suggested I try selling my book to comic book stores, since the novel contains many fantasy elements. So following her advice, I sent out e-mails to two comic book stores.

This morning, I received a reply from one store in Northampton, MA. They mentioned that selling a novel wouldn't be part of their regular offering. They also couldn't profitably carry my book with the 30% discount I was offering. Off to the spreadsheet!

In the process of trying to find a larger discount to sell books, I realized that I could not honor a 30% discount or any larger ones for that matter. So I sent an apology letter to both businesses and removed the discount code.

So over the next week, I'll be trying to generate more ground swell for my first book as I continue writing book two. The public discount code (good for $2.00 off at CreateSpace) is available on the "Books" page, and will be there through the end of August.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment